I feel like Sex Criminals is one of the weirdest graphic novels I read, but I really enjoy it.
I first heard about Sex Criminals through following Kelly Sue Deconnick through social media. Kelly Sue is married to Matt Fraction, Sex Criminal’s writer, and since she’s one of my favorite writers I thought I’d give him a try. I wasn’t really sure what I was getting into when I picked up the first volume of Sex Criminals at work, but one of the library assistants, Tabbi, left me note letting me know that it was better than she expected. I trust Tabbi’s opinions so I gave it a chance. I really enjoyed the first volume so I picked up the second when we got it in.
I liked volume one just a little more than volume two. It wasn’t bad but it deals with some more serious issues and that tends to make it a little less fun than the first. I do appreciate how the Sex Criminal’s team dealt with the issues, like mental illness. They also delved more into the world of Sex Criminals and the people behind the sex police.
I love the art that Chip Zdarsky does. The difference in the real world and the Quiet is lovely and really helps when reading to clearly divide the two worlds from each other.
Overall this is a great series and I really recommend it. I can’t wait for more.
- GoodReads Reading Challenge – 21 of 30, finished on April 2.
- Modern Mrs Darcy Challenge – None.
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge – Read a book with a main character that has a mental illness.
- #BustleReads Challenge – None.
- POPSUGAR’s Ultimate Reading Challenge – A Book with a protagonist who shares your occuation. Susie and I are both librarians.