Continuing my adventure into audio books.
I had heard of Hilary Mantel from one of her other books, Wolf Hall. I picked this book because on the Read Harder challenge, one of the categories is ‘Listen to an audiobook that has won an Audie Award.’ I’m not big on audio books so I couldn’t think of any off the top of my head. I searched through a list of Audie winners until I saw something that caught my attention. It wasn’t too long a listen, about five hours, and with it being a book of short stories I figured my mind wouldn’t have a chance to wander since there would be different stories throughout the listening.
The book is read by Jane Carr and I enjoyed listening to her. The stories were also interesting, some more than others but over all they were very good. I have to confess that I don’t know much about Margaret Thatcher, so unfortunately that story probably lost some of its impact for me. All the stories did have some little twist that made you think and almost none of them had a twist I was expecting. I love trying to guess the twist of a book or movie and I was only right once while listening to these. I know Mantel is known for her novels but I hope she decides to try out short stories again soon.
- GoodReads Reading Challenge – 16 of 30, finished on March 18.
- Modern Mrs Darcy Challenge – None.
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge –Listen to an audiobook that has won an Audie Award.
- #BustleReads Challenge – None.
- POPSUGAR’s Ultimate Reading Challenge – A book set in Europe. The stories have different settings, but at least it’s namesake in set in the UK, which I’m pretty sure is considered Europe. If not someone tell me!