Citizen first came to my attention after Johari Idusuyi read it at a Donald Trump rally.
It was also one of the books recommended on the #BustleReads Challenge so I had to check it out. Poetry is not my thing. I’m pretty sure the last time I read any was back in high school when we did our poetry block. Despite not being into poetry I did like Citizen. Rankine recounts a series of microagressions beginning with childhood. It’s more than that too, she writes about Trayvon Martin and Selena Williams. It’s a beautiful way to speak out about the issues that our society still have with race.
I probably won’t read another poetry book this year, but I’m glad that the one I did read was Citizen.
- GoodReads Reading Challenge – 10 of 30, finished on Feb 14.
- Modern Mrs Darcy Challenge – None.
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge – None.
- #BustleReads Challenge –Read A Contemporary Collection Of Poetry.
- POPSUGAR’s Ultimate Reading Challenge – A Book of Poetry.